Friday, January 8, 2010

Things that make me sad

I love music.  I especially love the singer-songwriter, girl (or guy) with a guitar music. To the chagrin of my friends and family, I tend to become a little bit... myopic in my relentless love of a certian cd/artist, and listen to them nonstop until I move onto the next one.  I recently have been listening to some new stuff - Jonathan Coulton, specifically, and it makes me wish that I had some musical ability of my own. I always feel this way after house concerts too- a kind of restlessness that some part of me wants to be able to write songs that have meaning and are beautiful.

The part that makes me sad is that I have zero musical ability. I am practically tone deaf,  I can't keep a beat, and I've tried the guitar, and cannot make my hands work in the way that makes guitar playing possible. I can enjoy music, and I sing along off key, and I can dance allong off beat, but in terms of making my own music, I'm at a loss.

I recently was doing some writing and came up with what I thought would be good song lyrics.  I sat down and tried to figure out some sort of melody for them for like an hour, and at the end of the hour, I was just an hour older and more frustrated.  I guess it is just destined to become a poem, unless someone has some awesome musical skillz that likes to write music.

Anybody?

No comments:

Post a Comment