Thursday, December 10, 2009

The Contender

For more about Best Burger in Baltimore, click here


Jennings Cafe is a fairly unassuming, local place on frederick road in Catonsville.  I did not have high hopes for this place, because having lived just outside of catonsville for two and a half years, I've never thought to go in this place.  I made a judgement bcaus it looked like a small, local place, a bar that also served food. Which I assumed would be mediocre to bad.

I was wrong.  Well, not about the bar and the food part, that part's true.  The food there is fantastic, and I was really happy with everything that we ordered.  We started with the crab dip (as has become our tradition)  and it was awesome:





The dip was hearty, with a good amount of crab, a little kick from Old Bay seasoning, and was what is best about traditional crab dip. Julie especially wanted me to mention how awesome the bread was, warm, with a crusty outside, and a soft, yielding inside.

After we were mostly finished with the dip, they brought our burgers. both of us had ordered them medium rare, and they came to the table with bun off, ready for adornment. Mine came with a pickle, and mayo on the top bun, Julie's with lettuce, tomato, and onion. I added some kechup (from an actual glass bottle! Extra ten points for real glass bottle)

I took the first bite, and I knew that we had a serious condender for the title of Best Burger in Baltimore. It was by far the best of the three we've had, Julie and I agreed.  The meat was cooked perfectly, seasoned just right, and there were no extraneous spices to compete with the flavor of the beef. It was pure beef,  melting in with the cheese to create a great burger.  The only criticism that I have (and it's a small one) is that the size of the burger could have used a slightly heartier bun. The bun was good, and fresh, but it was a little on the small side. But all in all, a fantastic burger.

The burger comes with chips, or you can upgrade to fries for a dollar, which we both did. The fries are from frozen, they were hot, and salted well.

We finished our meal with dessert- not something we usually do, (because we are usually too full from burgers) but Jennings Cafe makes all their desserts on site- and you can tell. Great, homemade tasting Coconut cake, and chocolate pudding pie.   I would go back just for the coconut cake, which was soft, and moist, and covered in delicious coconut flakes.

I will be back to Jennings Cafe. 

Jennings Cafe
808 Frederick Road
Catonsville, MD 21228-4505
(410) 744-3824

No comments:

Post a Comment