Saturday, September 5, 2009

Heavenly Onion dip

I have a pretty close-knit family, and we spent a lot of time when I was young, hanging out and celebrating things together. Birthday parties, fourth of july, memorial day, picnics, and cookouts. Every party that my aunt and uncle had when we were young included a bunch of standard items; shrimp ball, veggies and dip, a big bowl of m&ms, and onion dip, with ruffled potato chips.

It came from a packet, mixed into sour cream, and it's still one of my favorite things. It brings back happy memories from when I was a kid.

When I was in Chincoteage with the family this year, I did a fair amount of cooking- wanting to try out recipes on the guinea pigs that are my family. I was having a craving for onion dip, so I pulled out Ina Garten's Pan Fried onion dip, and gave it a whirl. As i was putting it together though, I realized that we did not have any cayenne in the house, and so subbed a generous teaspoon of horseradish, to give it a little kick, and hat was completely the right call. Creamy, oniony, and just a hint of a kick. I'm going to be making this for lots of parties to come.

Adapted from Ina Garten's Pan Fried Onion dip

2 large yellow onions
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon horseradish
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup good mayonnaise

Directions
Cut the onions in half and then slice them into 1/8-inch thick half-rounds. (You will have about 3 cups of onions.) Heat the butter and oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the onions, cayenne, salt, and pepper and saute for 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 more minutes until the onions are browned and caramelized. Allow the onions to cool.
Place the cream cheese, sour cream and mayonnaise in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and beat until smooth. Add the onions and mix well. Taste for seasonings.

Serve at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment