Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Strawberry Compote and Weekend Awesomeness

My cousin Kate, and my sister Jackie came down to Baltimore this weekend. I was really excited for them to come down and to hang out. And as with any time I have visitors coming, my mind immediately starts spinning to what I'm going to make for them. This time, I was intrigued by rhubarb. I had never cooked with rhubarb, but the legion of food blogs that I read had been extolling the virtues of this tart stalk for the last two months, ever since they began appearing at farmer's markets across the country.

So I began to plot. I disregarded pie, and cloufoutis, briefly thought about roasting them, but eventually landed on making a compote. Per Wikipedia, Compote is a dessert made of whole or pieces of fruit in sugar syrup Whole fruits are immersed in water and with sugar and spices added to the dish, over gentle heat. I liked the idea of a strawberry rhubarb compote, spooned over thick greek yogurt, for a breakfast on Saturday morning. With a side of trader joe's mini croissants that had baked up fresh that morning, It made for a fine breakfast.

We spent the weekend going to Hon Fest, and Five Guys for some fries, hanging out at my apartment watching movies, (bad, bad, cheesy movies), and going to the Farmer's Market under the JFX, to the store at AVAM (where my friends Katie and Lisa and Jackie bought some awesome art by this guy). We had lunch at my favorite Indian Place,

When I look back at the weekend, I am so happy, not only because I had a great time (I did!) but with how delighted I am with the friendship that Jackie, Kate and I have. As adults, we've developed thisfriendship that has been unexpectedly awesome. Especially with my sister; If you told me ten years ago that I would be eagerly anticipating her coming to visit for weeks, I would have probably looked at you like you had three heads. We haven't always had the smoothest relationship. But over the years, it has evolved into a friendship that I'm so thankful to have.

And when the three of us devolve into helpless giggles, watch out; you'll probably be waiting awhile before we can talk.


Strawberry Rhubarb Compote
1 pint strawberries, hulled and halved
1 lb rhubarb, chopped into 1 inch pieces.
1 cup sugar
zest of one lemon

Toss fruit, zest and sugar together and let sit for a minute. Then, in a medium to large pot, cook on low, stirring occasionally, until you can still see visible chunks of fruit, but is a hybrid between sauce/fruit. with a spoon, taste (after you let it cool! it'll be FRICKA HOT) and adjust if you need more sugar. Let cool and then put in a tupperware/jam jar and refrigerate.

No comments:

Post a Comment