Monday, February 15, 2010

#23 Do twelve random acts of kindness for strangers.

The reason that I put it on the list in the first place is that I have been the recipient of some wonderful random acts of kindness. When I was in my car accident in June, I was walking back to my apartment (the accident happenend about a mile from my house, and I figured I'd walk) I was loaded down with bags and various stuff from my car, and I was really regretting my decision to walk home, walking slower and slower, almost on the verge of exhausted tears, when, 3/4 of the way, a woman who lives in my apartment complex that I didn't know pulled over and asked me if I needed a ride up to my place. I had been thinking that I could not walk any more, I was in pain, my adrenaline was crashing, and this woman, who I've never seen again, was my hero.

The good feeling that I had from that day stayed with me for a long time. Just when you think that all is lost, sometimes the universe sends you a random, and kind stranger.

So you may have heard that The Mid Atlantic region has had some pretty wicked snow for the last week. The main roads are okay, but many of the side roads are still packed in snow (like the one I live on, for example). I had lunch at work, and then with my friends Katie and Mandy, went for a Starbucks run to get tea after we ate. There was crazy traffic getting out of the Starbucks onto the main road, and we were waiting in the traffic in Katie's car for about fifteen minutes. As we were pulling up to the light, the car in front of us got stuck in the snow/slush roads, and began to back, almost hitting Katie's car. It stopped, spun it's wheels, and was stuck again. I jumped out of the car, asked the guy if he needed a push, which he said he did. He got back into the car, hit the gas, and I got low, pushed forward, and pushed the car out by myself! Triumph! the car made the light, and I ran back to Katie's car, where we promptly got stuck at the red light. It was really awesome to do something for a random stranger, and I can't wait until I get the next opportunity!

No comments:

Post a Comment